We value your data and take your privacy seriously.
This policy describes how we use your personal information when you enter and participate in the AIG Women's British Open Championship (the "Championship"). We have tried to keep it simple, so please take the time to read this policy in full to understand our practices regarding your personal information. This policy was last updated in March 2019.
Who are we?
We use "we", "us" and "our" to refer to International Management Group (UK) Ltd (00946580) ("IMG") and LGU Championships Limited (SC366854) and its group companies ("The R&A"). A list of LGU Championships Limited's group companies is set out at the end of this policy.
The R&A and IMG will share your personal information with their respective group companies and their suppliers and service providers for the purposes set out below only. If you would like to contact us about this policy, you can do so by:
• emailing us at [email protected] or [email protected]; or
• writing to us at:
• Privacy Counsel, EMEA, IMG UK Ltd, Building 6, 566 Chiswick High Rd, Chiswick, London W4 5HR; or
• F.A.O. Data Privacy Manager, The R&A, Beach House, Golf Place, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9JA.
I am applying to enter the Championship
We collect personal information about you that we need to process your entry to the Championship. We collect this information from you via the online entry process or if we ask you to provide further information. This information includes your contact details, date of birth, nationality, your handicap (if you are an amateur) and your golf club or attachment.
We use the personal information that you provide during the entry process to:
• contact you to confirm that we have received your entry and to process your entry and assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria for the Championship;
• process the payment details you provided for payment of your entry fee for the Championship. We will retain your payment details for such period as may be necessary to allow us to process any refund of your entry fee that may be due to you;
• group you together with other entrants to determine the starting field and reserve list for the Championship; and
• contact you if we have any queries about your entry and to notify you if you have been successful or unsuccessful in gaining a place in the starting field or if you have been placed on the reserve list for the Championship.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information for the above purposes is that it is necessary for our relationship with you established by your entry to the Championship. We cannot process your entry to the Championship if you do not provide the information required by the entry process.
For entrants under 18 years of age only, we may use your parent/guardian’s details provided during the entry process to contact them to verify the details on your entry. We do this with the parent/guardian’s consent provided on your online entry form.
The R&A maintains a historical archive and record of entries to the Championship. For these purposes, The R&A retains a copy of all entry forms submitted for the Championship indefinitely. It is in the legitimate interests of The R&A as the organiser of long-standing, prestigious golf competitions to maintain a historical archive of entries to those competitions.
To keep you updated, The R&A may also use information provided on your entry to provide you with information on Rules updates or similar information regarding the sport of golf including via email. This is not only beneficial for you but it is in the legitimate interests of The R&A, in its governing body role for the sport of golf, to communicate Rules changes and developments in the sport of golf.
I am a competitor in the Championship
If you are a competitor in the Championship, we collect and use the following personal information about you:
• information provided by you as part of the entry process for the Championship;
• additional information you provide to us during the registration process at the Championship by returning the competitor registration form;
• images and video footage of you taken during your participation in the Championship or other R&A championships and events;
• occasionally, we may collect information about you from publicly available websites;
• if you submit a Transportation Request Form. For details about information collected via the Transportation Request Form and how it is used, please see the section below on “I have submitted a Transportation Request Form”.
We use your personal information as a competitor:
• to process your participation in the Championship;
• to publish the starting fields and reserve lists on www.aigwomensbritishopen.com and to contact you with further information about your participation in the Championship;
• to publish the live scoring and final results of the Championship;
• for the purposes of television, radio, written press and online media coverage and publicity of the Championship including as part of television, radio and other interviews you may be asked to give as part of your participation in the Championship. This may include providing your date and place of birth to broadcasters of the Championship;
• to promote the Championship, other R&A championships and other R&A events, to promote The R&A and its activities and to illustrate The R&A’s work in golf, e.g. golf development activities and education. This includes use of images and footage of you taken at the Championship or other R&A championships and events;
• to provide personal data to the golf club hosting the Championship as required for the purposes of hosting the Championship;
• to confirm your participation and provide your scores from the Championship to your golf club/attachment;
• if applicable, to provide your personal information to the WORLD AMATEUR GOLF RANKING™ to update the rankings and player profiles on www.wagr.com. Please see www.wagr.com for more information; and
• to contact you following the Championship to request that you complete a feedback questionnaire. We will use the information provided in the completed feedback questionnaire for our legitimate interests of improving the operation of our events.
We may also share your personal information collected and used as a competitor of the Championship with our patrons, sponsors and partners for their use for the above purposes only.
Our legal basis for processing your personal information for the above purposes is that it is necessary for our relationship with you established by your participation in the Championship unless otherwise specified. For providing your personal information to the WORLD AMATEUR GOLF RANKING™, our legal basis is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of the operation, improvement and expansion of the WORLD AMATEUR GOLF RANKING™ and www.wagr.com.
On the competitor registration form, we also collect medical information only for the purposes of allowing medical assistance to be given to you if necessary during the Championship. We obtain your explicit consent for this but this personal information is also required to protect your vital interests.
For competitors under 18 years of age only, we may use your parent/guardian’s details provided on the competitor registration form to contact them to verify the details on form.
• The competitor registration forms and the emergency contacts details and medical information contained on those forms are retained until after the Championship and are destroyed no later than 31 December of that year.
• The other information shall be retained for as long as it is required for the purposes above.
I have submitted a Transportation Request Form
If you submit a Transportation Request Form to request permission to ride or use a form of transportation during the Championship, we will use the information provided on that Form and in any supporting documentation to assess and process your request in accordance with that Form. Our legal basis for processing this information is your explicit consent and this information will be held until after the Championship and will be destroyed no later than three months after the Championship.
Your personal information may be transferred to, and stored in, countries outside of the UK and EU for the above purposes. We will take steps to ensure your personal information is adequately protected in countries outside of the UK and EU. Please contact us if you would like more details on safeguards used by us to protect personal information for these transfers.
I want to know my data protection rights
Data protection legislation in the EU and UK provides individuals with certain rights regarding the use of their personal information.
You have the right to:
• access the personal information that we hold about you in many circumstances;
• ask us to delete or correct any personal information that we hold about you;
• prevent us processing your personal information;
• port your personal information in certain circumstances;
• not be subject to a solely automated decision;
• withdraw any consent that you have given. This does not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before withdrawal; and
• lodge a complaint with the UK regulator, the Information Commissioner’s Office, if you have concerns about how we use your personal information. Please see https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ to find out more.
LGU Championships Limited's group companies
LGU Championships Limited's group companies for the purposes of this policy comprise R&A Championships Limited (SC247047), R&A Group Services Limited (SC247048), R&A Rules Limited (SC247046), R&A Trust Company (No. 1) Limited (SC247045), R&A Trust Company (No.2) Limited (SC247049) and The R&A Foundation (SC247050).